Only a few other brands have done as much as The Ordinary to change how we shop for skin care. Before a Canadian company gave us The Ordinary, makeup was the only affordable, high-quality alternative that was easy to find. Even though the skin care aisle at the drugstore has always been more innovative, only a few inexpensive products can compete with the quality of high-end serums and moisturizers.
Because of this, the top products from The Ordinary continue to generate a lot of excitement. The company uses a clinical, scientific approach to skincare, focusing on results-oriented, single-ingredient formulations. What’s even better? There’s nothing that costs more than $30, though. Most of it can be had for less than $10. The Ordinary’s dedication to honesty, which leads to fair-quality products, is a key factor.
Our editors looked at dozens of The Ordinary skin care products and spent hundreds of dollars trying to figure out what each one was supposed to do and which ones were necessary. Please look below for our frank assessments of today’s top The Ordinary offerings on the market.
Here is the list of the top 20 products you must try:
The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
This at-home peel helps even skin texture, relieve pore congestion, and enhance uneven pigmentation with the use of alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA), beta-hydroxy acids (BHA), and a researched Tasmanian pepper berry derivative, which decreases irritation that can be linked with acid use.
- The website for The Ordinary says that the Peeling Solution should be used “no more than twice a week.” And if your skin is especially sensitive, even that can happen too often.
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid (2% + B5)
To help keep your skin hydrated on all levels, Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 uses a water-based composition that includes low-, medium-, and high-molecular-weight hyaluronic acid molecules as a next-generation HA cross polymer. Wrinkles and skin texture flaws are another focus.
- It’s there for your unlimited use. We advise using it twice daily, in the morning and before bed.
The Ordinary Buffet
Formerly known as Buffet, the Multi-Peptide + HA Serum is a revolutionary anti-aging formula that combines many cutting-edge technologies into a single step to revive your skin’s supple, youthful appearance.
The product has a subtle aroma that is completely inoffensive. Although it can be used on dry skin, it absorbs more quickly when massaged into damp skin. I only need around three or four drops to cover my whole face.
The Multi-Peptide + HA Serum is used twice daily in this water-based formula. Buffets should be avoided when consuming vitamin C or acid-based products.
The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2%
Try this potent lactic acid peeling product to reveal younger, healthier skin. Featured Ingredients: Exfoliation can cause irritation and redness. However, using Tasmanian pepper berries can help alleviate such symptoms. You can use lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid, to exfoliate the skin.
- Use a small layer once a day, preferably at night, after your toner, and before your moisturizer. Use this product up to three times per week at first, and work up to using it every day if this is the first time you’ve used an acid.
The Ordinary Pycnogenol 5%
There is an oil-like formulation of pycnogenol (5%), which helps protect the skin from the damaging effects of oxidative stress. This serum is deep red because of the high amount of antioxidants in an extract of French maritime pine bark used to make it. It was made to make the skin look better.
- It can be used on its own or as a step before stronger moisturizers or oils. Two or three drops of The Ordinary’s pycnogenol are all it takes to improve the moisture balance of the moisturizer I use on my face and neck. Apply twice daily, at most.
The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA
Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA is a water-based serum developed to treat hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone. Hyaluronic acid is combined with a potent concentration of alpha-arbutin, a popular skin-lightening substance that has undergone extensive purification processes.
- Both morning and nighttime use of alpha arbutin are acceptable. When using arbutin in the morning, it’s crucial to use sunscreen afterward because it can increase sun sensitivity. During the evening, use it after you’ve cleaned your face before putting on moisturizer.
The Ordinary Rose Hip Seed Oil, 100% Organic
Natural skin hydration from Rosehip Seed Oil, which is 100% organic and cold-pressed, helps fight the visible effects of aging by increasing skin tone, bolstering suppleness, and encouraging the development of smoother, more radiant skin. It promotes skin regeneration, which in turn helps to diminish scars, fine wrinkles, and dark spots. It is the best moisturizer for soothing dry, itchy skin because it works so well.
- You can use Rosehip Oil in your regular facial care routine.
The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7%
To remove dead skin cells from the skin’s surface, try Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution. Clarity increases, uneven skin tone is corrected, and texture is refined with time. Glycolic acid can take up to four weeks to clear blackheads and reduce the skin. This is because glycolic acid needs to be used consistently over time to break down the dead skin cells and debris that clog pores, resulting in clearer, less congested skin.
- It can be used once a day. Use It one time in a day, after cleansing, to brighten and tone skin and improve texture over time.
The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%
Apply this last because the skin must absorb it before any oils, suspensions, or creams. Azelaic acid is a natural and powerful antioxidant that is found in grains. Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% has a cream-like consistency and a high concentration of azelaic acid, which brightens skin tone and improves skin texture.
- However, azelaic acid is mild enough to be used every day, either before bed or after a shower, regardless of your skin type. Some specialists recommend using it twice daily.
The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG
The water-based serum Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG makes bags, and dark circles under the eyes look less noticeable. The recipe combines a large amount of caffeine with a potent and pure version of the antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG).
- Try to use it at least twice a day.
The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2%
Wrinkles, and skin discoloration are all smoothed out. The necessity: You may get an effective anti-aging treatment that won’t irritate your skin by using The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion. Lines, wrinkles, discoloration, hyperpigmentation, and pore visibility are all dealt with.
While retinol can be harsh on the skin, granactive retinoid is much milder. Granactive retinoid is a good treatment choice because it works well with a solvent that makes it easier for the skin to absorb and tolerate. Since this is the case, even at higher doses, granactive retinoid products are less likely to cause irritation or redness.
- Granactive retinoid can be part of your regular skin care routine if it is made in the right way and given to your skin in the right way. Talk to your dermatologist about which ingredient combinations to avoid if you have extremely sensitive skin. Leave it alone for a few days before getting a wax or chemical peel done.
The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA
Alpha-hydroxy acid serum with 10% acid and HA helps improve skin tone, refine pores, and smooth out fine lines and wrinkles without irritating the skin. Other alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) like glycolic acid, beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) like salicylic acid (particularly if combined with chemical peels), and retinol (a vitamin A derivative) should be avoided when using mandelic acid.
- This exfoliator is so gentle that it can be used daily, even on delicate skin.
The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
It is a stable suspension with no water or silicone. Vitamin C is a good antioxidant. When applied topically, its pure form, L-Ascorbic Acid, has been shown to reverse multiple signs of aging skin while also making it brighter.
Before you put this on your face, you should also do a patch test because this is a high concentration for a beginner. After you put it on, you might feel a tingling sensation for a while. Conclusion: This product does work. Vitamin C is important for skincare, so I don’t mind the tiny particles, which will go away in a few minutes.
- Use after serums with water, serums that don’t have water, and oils, but before creams. Vitamin C Suspension 23% in HA Spheres uses direct vitamin C and hyaluronic acid to help reduce visible signs of aging by brightening and evening out uneven skin tone.
The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
Our Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% formula is a serum made of water that makes the skin brighter, smoother, and stronger over time. It has a high concentration (10%) of vitamin B3 (niacinamide) and zinc PCA.
By making the skin’s protective barrier stronger and balancing the oils on your skin, these ingredients help keep your pores free of too many things that cause pimples. Niacinamide and zinc help make skin healthier and less clogged by making toxins and environmental stressors have less of an effect.
- It can be used daily after cleansing the skin, either during the day or at night.
The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane
The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane keeps moisture in your skin, which helps with dry spots and keeps fine lines from showing up or making them less noticeable. Squalane is a natural part of the skin, and the oil it makes is a great way to keep the skin moist.
- You can use Squalane every day, both in the morning and at night. If you’re using it by itself, you should put it on before sunscreen in the morning and after your other skin care steps at night. If your skin needs more moisture, add it to your moisturizer.
The Ordinary Retinol 0.5% in Squalane
The Ordinary Retinol, 0.5% in Squalane, is a good anti-aging treatment with a medium level of strength. Retinol speeds up the process of making new skin cells, which makes the skin act and look younger. It makes lines, wrinkles, and sun damage looks less noticeable.
- Retinol 0.5% was made to reduce fine lines and other signs of aging. In Squalene, there is no water. It would help if you used it every night as part of your skincare routine.
The Ordinary Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20%
Ascorbyl tetrasopalmitate dissolves in oil, so it’s easy to get to the dermis, where it can do the following: fight against free radicals, which speed up aging. increases the production of collagen, which keeps skin firm. It increases protection from UV rays, which helps reduce sun damage.
- It is a light oil that helps fight the signs of aging by making the skin brighter and more even in tone.
The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser
You can use the squalane cleanser as your first or second cleanse. If you’re using it as your first cleanse, put the cleanser in the palm of your hands and massage it for 10 to 30 seconds, which will warm it up and make it feel like a balm oil. Massage it into your dry face to dissolve your makeup, then wash it off.
- This cleanser can be used in the morning or at night. Some people use this as the first or second step in a double-cleansing routine, while others find it takes care of everything in just one step.
The Ordinary Pycnogenol 5%
Pycnogenol 5% has a formula that looks like oil and helps protect your skin from the effects of oxidative stress. This bright serum has a high level of antioxidants (procyanidins) and is a deep red colour because it contains an extract from French maritime pine bark.
- Intake of 50–450 milligrams per day of pycnogenol by mouth for up to a year is POSSIBLY SAFE, as is topical application of the cream for up to 7 days or the powder for up to 6 weeks.
The Ordinary Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3%
This formula helps your skin look brighter and smoother and protects it from the damage caused by environmental stressors and visible signs of aging. Since water can make antioxidants less stable, Resveratrol (3%) and Ferulic Acid (3%) are not made with water.
- Use before oils, suspensions, or creams and after water-based serums. It is a light oil-like serum you put on your skin daily to protect it from oxidative stress.